We're recruiting for research volunteers
The Streets: Discover Your High Street
Research Volunteer Role Description
Discover Your High Street is a project funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund which aims to explore the history of seven outer London high streets. The project is delivered by Serious Events Ltd in partnership with a consortium of seven outer London Boroughs: Croydon, Greenwich, Kingston upon Thames, Redbridge, Richmond upon Thames, Waltham Forest and Wandsworth. Discover Your High Street is part of a wider project, The Streets; an ambitious and dynamic programme which brings music and performance to local high streets with the aim of showcasing the local streetscape and unlocking its potential.
We are seeking volunteers to assist in the research aspects of the project, which will culminate in a touring exhibition, publication and heritage trail. This is an exciting opportunity to shape the Discover Your High Street project, and to help encourage local communities to engage with the history of their local area.
As a Research Volunteer you will:
● Travel across your dedicated borough to visit local archives, museums and libraries to gather information about the local high street in the last 100 years
● Make contact and meet with local businesses who are interested in sharing their history in connection with the project
● Identify images, documents and other archival records which can be used in exhibition and publication
● Share your research with the Heritage Coordinator using Word or Excel
● Attend regular meetings and maintain regular contact with the Heritage Coordinator
● Spend at least approximately the equivalent of 1 day per week on your research (research period will run up until December)
In return you will:
● Be given an opportunity to attend relevant training and events in connection with the project
● Be given an opportunity to develop and deliver community talks or events in November 2016
● Gain additional research experience and an understanding of how historical research can contribute to community heritage projects
● Contribute to an exciting new community heritage project
● Be compensated for your travel costs upon agreement with the Heritage Coordinator
Desirable qualities and experience:
● An interest in history, heritage and research
● Experience using libraries and archives for research purposes
● Good written English
● An ability to volunteer the equivalent of at least 1 day per week for a month or more
For more information please contact Daniella Hadley at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 07891 129 891. Please include in your email a short statement explaining why you are interested in the Research Volunteer role.